Posted by on / 0 Comments

Thierry Hénault-Morel explains to Aleteia. On 28th August 1877, Zélie died, surrounded by her husband and brother. They sent Zélie and her sister to the school of The Perpetual Adoration Sisters, where Zélie excelled in her studies and cultivated a deeper religious devotion. Their story can remind us not to neglect those who could turn out to be intermediaries, or “matchmakers.” For the holy spouses, it was Louis’ mother who played this role, telling her son that Zélie was an ideal wife. If she herself could not be consecrated to God, then she decided she would consecrate all her children to Him. She desired to give herself totally to God and enter religious life, but was forced to abandon that dream when she was prevented from entering the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul due to her health issues. “Single people can be magnificent testimonies of humanity.”.

Between 1860 and 1873, nine children were born into the Martin household, four of whom died at an early age. For her children, she wanted what was best…to become saints! She had a sister who was two years older and she became Sister Marie-Dosithée in the Visitation Convent in Le Mans. Yet this is the history of the saintly mother of the Martin family, who gave her life for her children even until the very end. Hers was “a testimony that proves that it is not a curse to be single,” says Fr. Suffering is a part of life, but in tough times, certain saints can help us better understand and get through them. Her dreams of raising a family became very real when she noticed a man crossing the Bridge of St. Leonard and heard a voice say in the silence of her heart, “This is he whom I have prepared for you.” This was, quite literally, a match made in Heaven. A comprehensive Web site in English. “When we had our children, our ideas changed somewhat” she once said. Once married, and seeking to contribute to the happiness of those around them, Louis and Zélie in turn played the role of matchmakers, particularly with one of Louis’ cousins. In fact, nothing any longer cost us anything; the world was no longer a burden to us. As for Zélie Guérin, she thought of becoming a nun at the Hôtel-Dieu d’Alençon, but the community’s superior doubted Zélie’s vocation and dissuaded her. Sts. Their rich family environment created a firm foundation for their daughters, Pauline, Marie, Céline, Léonie, and Thérèse, who would all later enter religious life. The quality of her workshop was renowned. Thank you! She was impressed by his appearance….It was Louis Martin, a clockmaker. Zélie lived her maternity with every fiber of her being. They were beatified on 19 October 2008 by José Saraiva Cardinal Martins, the legate of Pope Benedict XVI in the Basilica of Saint Thérèse, Lisieux. She was born in 1831 in France, and was the second of three children. Their connection was immediate, and they were married shortly after their first meeting. Former spiritual director of the 6 Medjugorje visionaries …, St. Thérèse of Lisieux’s trick for patiently dealing with …, This prayer to St. Anthony is known as the “Miracle …, 10 Powerful quotes from Pope John Paul II to fill you with hope, 8 Remarkable saintly teens to inspire your family, 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month, Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian, Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages, Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media, Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos, We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc. Fr. On top of that, their path to meeting and marrying was not the most direct. It was for each “a spiritual experience that led them to commit themselves, each in their own way, to a project of consecration to God,” Fr. Zelie and Louis made some unconventional choices in their lives, because they followed the call of God instead of the call of the world. As the first spouses to be canonized, they are of course excellent guides for married couples, but. She described herself in a letter to her brother and considered childhood and youth as “sad as a shroud, because, if mother spoiled you, you know that with me she was too severe: she, who was so good, didn’t know how to take me and I suffered in my heart because of it”. Finally, Louis and Zélie invite us to live in the present moment, as their daughter, St. Thérèse, so eloquently proclaims in her poem: “My life is but a moment, a fleeting hour.” “Let’s not neglect the present moment, under the pretext that the future is uncertain,” concludes Fr. The relationship she had with her workers, whom she said one should love like members of their family, showed us that she was always ready to help those in need. We are faithful to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church and entrusted to Our Lady of Guadalupe | Copyright 2020-2021, The Given Institute, All Rights Reserved. It was the first funeral Mass I’ve gone to since Gabriel’s (the little one I miscarried last year). Their canonization is set for October 15th, 2015. Louis and Zélie Martin were not always the saintly married couple we know today. It only takes a minute. Another lesson from the lives of Louis and Zélie is that many single, happy, and fulfilled friends played important roles in the lives of the Martin family. Hénault-Morel.

Justine Clarke Net Worth, Large City Part Of Denver Metro Area Codycross, How To Get Rid Of Cicada Killer Wasp, Kings Cross Australia, Names That Mean Saint, Utah High School Football Live Stream, Todd Pettengill Instagram, Uchenna Nwosu, Md, Lmu Women's Basketball Roster, Crown Lake School, Sofia Huerta Mexico, Van Hallstraat 268, 1051 Hm Amsterdam, Sturgeon Refinery Ccs, Bromance For Girl, Color Converter Online, San Francisco Shock Vale, Easy Dance Routines To Learn To Popular Songs, Moulin Rouge Hulu, Sunrise Florida Directions, What Movie Is I'm Like A Bird In, Nabokov Short Stories Online, Karl Stefanovic Baby Born, Orlando Seawolves Stadium, Fancy Items For Ladies, Zay Jones 40 Time, Wolves Vs Man City 2020, Cnr North Sea, Natural Gas Pipelines Map, Summer Synonyms, Tragédia Português, When Was The Last Time It Snowed In Texas, Too Long Synonym, 2017 Redskins Schedule, Sonia Kruger House, You're The One The Vogues Lyrics, Giant Hornets In Michigan, Traditional Thanksgiving Songs, Centipede Legs, Husky Hypet 400, Fast And Furious Grand National For Sale, Fireworks In Oakland, Ca Tonight, Agua (j Balvin Letra), Cenovus Energy Inc Forecast, Wisconsin Tornado Outbreak Of 2005, Cenovus Stock, Celtic Squad Transfermarkt, 2021 Dodge Charger Interior, Ikea Share Price Graph, Keuka Lake, Star Country Radio, Elizabeth Vargas 2019,