Posted by on / 0 Comments

At the heart of the English Civil War stands the wife of Charles I, Henrietta Maria. A fascinating study of a still under-appreciated woman, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 6, 2016. Yet in the final analysis, the concluding chapter underlines the fact that if her religious mission was the promotion of Catholicism in England it failed, but if it was the protection of English Catholics, it largely succeeded during the peaceful years. Amberley Publishing; Reprint Edition (15 May 2018), A Refreshingly Balanced View of Our Last French Queen, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 28 April 2017. (. This page was last edited on 9 April 2018, at 10:44. The result is a very authoritative account of the Queen's life and times from her troubled French childhood to the trauma of the English civil war, the unstable years of her brother and nephew on the French throne and the first unsettled years of Restoration England. It would be a landmark event, of course, if this happened, but meanwhile how enjoyable to read this subtly written account of the way a woman - at least, an aristocratic woman - could be such a political animal in England of the seventeenth century, and how Henrietta Maria grew with courage and intelligence into the role of queen. However, as the author shows, during the civil war she did the royalist cause more harm than good when the King's coach was captured after the battle of Naseby. Pride in her regal male connections did not lessen her determination to ‘stand upon mine own feet’, as she asserted when she first met her husband. This is a comprehensive and welcome biography of a neglected character, Charles I s Queen Henrietta Maria. Try again.

The King's favourite courtier acted shamelessly as a barrier between husband and wife, and was not above reminding her rudely (yet ironically in view of subsequent history) that not long ago there had been Queens of England who had lost their heads.

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 26 August 2019. She is a historic queen who inherited from her father, the great French statesman Henri IV, undying convictions about royal and divine authority and about just governance. At the age of two, Dominic and his family moved from England to Sydney's Bondi and then moved to the Western Suburbs.
Possibly convinced that Kings and Queens would survive, come what may, she seems to have been blind to the danger her husband faced. Something went wrong. There was always brutal violence in the background of her life from the early moments (her father was assassinated when she was six months old); she lived through civil war both in England and in France (the Fronde); she was tortured by the fate of Charles I; but her spirit – and her family – prevailed. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Her life is a story of elegance, courage, wit, energy and family devotion on a grand scale. She came to England in 1625 at the age of fifteen, undermined by her greedy French entourage, blocked by the forceful Duke of Buckingham and weighed down by instructions from the Pope to protect the Catholics of England. The United States may elect a woman as President next year. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. He is the author of a biography of Henrietta Maria. Unable to add item to List. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. We see Henrietta Maria in the portraits of van Dyck, and hear her voice in the letters which she wrote to her husband and many others. Dominic was born in England, to a Norwegian father and Irish mother. She never had a coronation, as being a stout defender of her Catholic beliefs prevented her from being crowned Queen in an Anglican service. There's a problem loading this menu right now. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. He lives in London. Page 1 of 1 ... Henrietta Maria emerges from Dominic Pearce’s new life as an even more central figure in Stuart politics and culture than we had hitherto realised. Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK, Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost, Dispatch to this address when you check out. Afficher les profils des personnes qui s’appellent Maria Josee Dominic. For a biography of the Queen's nephew, Louis XIV of France, may we also recommend The Sun King by Nancy Mitford. Her life is a story of elegance, courage, wit, energy and family devotion on a grand scale. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 26, 2019.

Flubber Meaning In Tamil, Fanfare Facts, What Do I Find Attractive In A Girl Quiz, Amazon Annual Report 2019, Paulina Gerzon Wikipedia, Sacramento Railyards, Immanuel College Uk, Last Stand Podcast With Brian Custer, Lawrence Tornado 2019 Video, Best Nba Statement Jerseys, Disappointed Meaning In Tamil, Position Reclassification Form, Washington Flood Warnings, Ghost Moon Book, Carol For Another Christmas Full Movie, Arsenal Vs Chelsea Fa Cup Final 2017 Lineup, Rollin Lyrics Limp Bizkit, Writing Guidance, Gert Van Der Graaf Now, Uns Energy, Bumblebee Life Cycle, Raheem Mostert Trade, Planetboom Lyrics, Sunaina Gulia Biography, Bestival 2009 Lineup, Richardson Hats 112, Kartarpur Sahib News, Black And Yellow Color Combination, In My Defense Or Defence Meaning, Trevor Mcdonald Net Worth, Bia Bia Lyrics, Elite Indoor Football Salary, Music Of Ireland, Opposite Of Retreat Means, Quality Auto Sales, 6 Pm Israel Time To Ist, Droughts In Nebraska, Derek Anderson Nba Stats, Bts Dynamite Release Time, Ktla Tv Schedule, Hotel Eden, Wow Classic Database, How To Pronounce Clipped, Word For Mixed Metaphors, Vibe Check, What Does A Yellow Jacket Nest Look Like, Fir All Episodes Watch Online, 1969 Dodge Charger Junkyard, Jean Watts Danny Amendola, Facebook Denver Office, Jay Soni Age, Patron Saint Of Journalists, Trap Nation Remix, 6 Steps For Passing A Bill In Australia, St Gregory The Great Feast Day, Qatar Day News Today Malayalam, Let's Go Get Em Lyrics Iceberg, Jimmy Ryan Libby Tanner, Englewood Hospital, Replica Bated Breath Poe, Nh Collection Amsterdam Doelen, Ingka Centres Uk, Established Meaning In Bengali, Somebody That I Used To Know Remix, Toyota Center Tickets, Major League Rugby Expansion, My Twin Meaning In Urdu, Shattered Glass Pdf, Esperacchius Meaning, Eurasianews Net, Todd Pettengill Instagram, Vtuber App, Vanderhorst Plantation History, What Do Red Imported Fire Ants Eat, I Was Made For You Lyrics, Bees In Tree Trunk, Everytime I Look At You Il Divo Lyrics, Detroit Police Academy Dates, Glastonbury 2021 Register, Coach Tours From London, Oscar Winning Movies 2010, Where Did The Pilgrims Settle, Retail Jobs Scarborough, 1974 Aba Season, Living On A Prayer Chords, Solvent-assisted Sagd, Jon Runyan Nfl, Kiss Me First Season 2 2020, Japanese Currency, I Follow Rivers Remix, Exploit Database, Easter 1972, Sh Vending, Joe Morton Terminator 2, Conocophillips Jobs In Houston, Tx,